- Seems that the success of The Simpsons Movie is proving to be good for 20th Century Fox as a whole. That’s good news since Fox pulled out all the corporate stops to promote the flick.
- Blockbuster is looking at revising their bricks-and-mortar store strategy. The chain is playing with the idea of smaller stores that just carry the hot titles since that’s what in-store customers are most often looking for. It actually makes a lot of sense – you don’t browse the older releases for niche, indie flicks.
- Lad mag Maxim is getting into the movie production business, commissioning a series of branded films meant to appeal to the same demographic as the magazine.
- NBCU’s Jeff Zucker weighs in on the rebranding some divisions have seen and what has or hasn’t worked movie-wise in his short tenure as president and CEO at the media company.
Two weeks after going off on a rant about the horrible email pitches I got from people who obviously just plugged my email address into a blast email program, I wanted to update that and let you all know it has not gotten any better. This confirms my suspicion that the people pitching MMM aren’t reading MMM. Argh.
Over the course of the last two years my view of Movie Marketing Madness has evolved quite a bit. As I wrote a couple weeks ago, MMM exists at the intersection of the movie and marketing worlds in terms of online communities. But most of the links to the site, I’ve noticed, come from marketing sites. I’d guesstimate that 70 percent of the incoming links to MMM come from folks who regularly write about marketing, with the entertainment sites providing the remaining 30 percent. Kind of interesting, right? Certainly a different position than I envisioned when I started MMM.
But what I always thought was cool about MMM was that I approached movie marketing not only from the perspective of a movie fan but also as someone who lives and works in the marketing/communications industry. A good portion – probably about half – of my daily reading is made up of marketing blogs and sites and linking to their posts/articles provides, I think, some context as to how movie marketing efforts relate to the marcom field as a whole.
I bring this up as a long-winded introduction to something funny that happened today. Kevin Dugan forwarded me an email he got saying that someone had added him as a friend on Facebook. The note the guy attached to Dugan mentioned that he had become a loyal reader of his Strategic Public Relations blog after I had linked to it here.
I’m extraordinarily proud of this for some reason. I think it’s because I’ve fully drunk from Mack Collier’s philosophy that building a community is the most important thing in the world we can do. I do not always have all the answers on a particular issue and my point of view is my own. But even beyond that – there are some incredibly smart people out there who are putting up fantastic content. If I get one person to start reading Dugan, Collier, Pepper, Armano, Oberkirch, Holtz, Scirreta, Campea, Billington or any of the other people I link to on a regular basis then I feel like I’ve added something to people’s overall knowledge. That, for me, is just as rewarding as feeling like I’ve added something to the conversation with my own stuff.
We should all look, as we’re blogging, at what we’re doing to expand the community. The last thing I want the online world to do is mimic the old-media model of trying to turn one outlet into the one thing for everyone. We thrive here by embracing and utilizing the micromedia model. So I think the fact that someone I don’t know found Kevin and started reading SPR very cool, and a great example of the power a community wields actually being utilized.